Hope everyone enjoyed their weekends. I still have another day of weekend bliss over here, since it’s Victoria Day for us Canadian’s!
This weekend, the weather gods blessed us with beautiful sun on Saturday, but when Sunday came around the rain came out unfortunately.
I spent a good part of the weekend with my sister, grabbing coffee and bringing home a new kitten she got. It is absolutely adorable! I will have to take some pictures next time and show you all them!
I was planning on trying out a new recipe with turkey, but instead was inspired by the chilly weather.
I have been looking for some different breakfast options, because I am usually reaching for the oat bran. Not complaining at all, overnight oat bran is still my favourite breakfast, but I definitely want to mix things up every once in a while. Enter granola.
I have about 4 pounds of carrots hanging out in my fridge. So when life gives you carrots, make carrot cake granola. Duh.
Carrot Cake Granola (inspired by Julie’s chocolate protein granola)
- 2 cups oats (I used gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon stevia (feel free to adjust to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee (I used pumpkin spice coffee)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon egg whites
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil (or other oil)
- 1/2 cup carrot puree (I made my own, but feel free to buy already made carrot puree, carrot baby food, or use canned pumpkin for pumpkin pie granola)
To make carrot puree. Steam carrots until you can puncture a knife through them. Process into a food processor. Easy peezy. Or as I said above, just replace with pumpkin puree, it would be pumpkin pie granola, still darn tasty I’d say.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients into a bowl, melt the coconut oil and mix together wet ingredients, add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is thoroughly coated together.
- Grab a baking sheet and line with parchment paper, spread granola evenly onto the parchment.
- Put granola in the oven for 10 minutes. Take out and stir, putting the granola back in for another 10 minutes. Stir again, and place back into the oven for another ~5-10 minutes (will depend on oven).
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
Makes four 1/2 cup servings.
This is so good. I enjoyed it the next morning over a bowl of greek yogurt. Filling breakfast, with a serving a veggies first thing in the morning. Sounds good if you ask me.
It tastes great alone, and probably with almond milk poured over top as well. I served it with a side of coffee of course.
Delicious and healthy, great combination.
I think I have found myself my new favourite granola recipe!
The Winner of the SlimKicker giveaway is…
Brittany! Wahoo, congrats girl!
E-mail me your shipping address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I’ll pass it on to the SlimKicker company, and get the scale off to you asap!
I’m off and ready for the week to come. It’s a short week, so I think it will be a great one.
Hope you’re all having an awesome day!!