So you all probably by now understand my love for pumpkin. It’s one of my favorite things to always have on hand.
You could always swap out applesauce for the pumpkin though, if you’re that person who prefers apples to pumpkin.
I also have a large amount of protein powder on hand right now, and since it’s definitely not the season for smoothies, I decided to put it to use in these bars for a little added protein bonus.
Pumpkin Protein Bars
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup protein powder (make sure it’s not whey protein, or it will turn out rubbery)
- 1/4 cup flax meal (ground flax seed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or use 1-2 teaspoons stevia or other sweetener)
- a few drops liquid stevia (if needed)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
Mix together all the dry ingredients.
Combine wet ingredients (make sure the coconut oil is melted, so that in can combines with the ingredients properly).
Incorporate the dry mix into the wet mixture.
Pour in a lightly greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. (Mine was in for about 22 minutes).
Allow to cool completely before slicing.
As always, this recipe is super simple and doesn’t require a long time baking away.
It’s filled with healthy ingredients and makes for the perfect Snack.
Do you ever use protein powder in baked goods?