Chili is always one of my favourite dishes to experiment with, since it’s super quick to make and the combinations are endless. Perfect for those nights where you need a quick to make meal.
Sweet Potato and Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large pot begin to heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, brown the turkey.
- Next, add in the zucchini and red pepper until softened slightly. You have the option of adding onions and garlic, but since I don’t enjoy them, I exclude them from this dish.
- Once the veggies are softened, add the veggie broth, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, and cubed sweet potato.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil. Once the pot has boiled, turn down to low-medium heat until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender add in the rest of the spices, stir to combine and turn the heat to the lowest setting until you’re ready to serve!
*If the chili is too thick by the end of cooking, you can add a little more veggie broth or water to thin out the consistency.
The cinnamon, cumin, and chili spices add such a great warmth to make this meal extra cozy.
What’s your favorite type of chili?